Darlinghurst GaolGaol or detention centre
Sydney's main gaol from its opening in 1841, later used as an internment camp, technical college and art school.
Planned from the 1820s, Darlinghurst Gaol was built in stages to designs that shifted with penal theories and government budgets. From 1841 prisoners were kept there, in increasingly overcrowded and unpleasant conditions. After Long Bay prison was opened in 1914 the buildings were used for a range of other purposes.