Inner-western suburb bounded by Rozelle Bay to the north and Parramatta Road to the south. It began as farmland granted to Captain George Johnston of the New South Wales Corps in stages between 1793 and 1799, and was later subdivided with wide regular streets on a rectilinear pattern with large lots.
Annandaleby Alan Roberts, 2008
Part of the traditional lands of the Eora people, Annandale was farmed for much of the nineteenth century, before being subdivided into a Victorian townscape. The suburb catered for the well-to-do and the working classes, and from mid-twentieth century has also housed new migrants, and the returning middle class residents who value its heritage buildings and proximity to the city.